Achmad Bakrie, the founding father of Bakrie & Brothers, did not have a privileged upbringing. Born in 1916 in a small farming village in Lampung, he managed only a basic education. But he valued the importance of learning and education which became a major underpinning for all his philanthropic efforts to help the poor and disadvantaged in Indonesia.
The Bakrie Center Foundation (BCF), led directly by Anindya Novyan Bakrie and the third generation of the Bakrie family, was founded on this edifice of education. It represents a worldview which is cognizant of the importance of higher education, and supporting ordinary Indonesians across the country with basic vocational skills to lead fulfilling and productive lives. The primary objective is to provide Indonesia’s best and brightest with a chance to study for a higher education at some of the best universities at home and abroad. It is a private sector initiative to identify and develop leaders in Indonesia, creating a talent pool that will eventually drive economic development and growth.
The BCF is an integral part of the established Bakrie Untuk Negeri Movement (BUN) in philosophy and values. BUN is a social movement done by the people of Bakrie. This includes the Business People as well as the Bakrie Family Members. Initiatives complement and expand the work of BUN which has pioneered several philanthropic and educational efforts in Indonesia, including the establishment of Bakrie University, a Full Pledge undergraduate institution managed by Yayasan Pendidikan Bakrie (Bakrie Foundation for Education). All our efforts go back to the deep-rooted conviction of our founding father and enduring mission of the Bakrie Group: to give back to society and build a more prosperous Indonesia.
The BCF has established the following programs:
- Bakrie Graduate Fellowship (Local)
- Scholarships for one-year master’s degree programs at the following universities:
- University of Andalas, West Sumatra
- University of Lampung, Lampung
- Bandung Institute of Technology, West Java
- Bogor Agricultural University, West Java
- University of Gajahmada, Jogyakarta
- University of Airlangga, East Java
- University of Mulawarman, East Kalimantan
- University of Hasanuddin, South Sulawesi
- University of Sam Ratulangi, North Sulawesi,
- University of Cendrawasih, Papua
- University of Udayana, Bali
Bakrie Graduate Fellowship (Overseas)
- Stanford University, Graduate School of Business, Sloan Program, scholarship for one-year master’s degree program in global management exclusively for senior executives from the Bakrie Group.
- Nanyang Technological University, Rajaratnam School of International Studies, scholarship for one-year master’s degree program in international relations/strategic studies/political economy.
Bakrie Executive Fellowships
- Harvard Business School, Harvard University, United States
- Wharton Business School, University of Pennsylvania
- London Business School, United Kingdom
- INSEAD, Singapore and Fountainebleau (France)
- London School of Economics, United Kingdom
- Harvard Kennedy School of Government, United States
- Bakrie Chairs/Professorships for Southeast Asian Studies
- Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, Washington DC.
- Nanyang Technological University, Rajaratnam School of International Studies, Singapore.